Consent for Treatment
Before you select a therapist, please review the information below on the Platform Services and their expected benefits, costs, potential risks and alternatives.
1) Messaging Therapy is a form of psychological treatment, like psychotherapy, which addresses problems related to thoughts, feelings or behaviors through communication with a therapist trained in helping individuals resolve such issue. In traditional therapy the therapist and client are in the same room together. With messaging therapy the therapist and client communicate remotely with text message that they send and receive at different times. Messaging therapy has the advantage of enabling you to communicate anytime they feel it would be useful. However, the lack of face-to-face interaction can make communication more difficult to develop a strong working relationship with your therapist.
2) Teletherapy is psychotherapy conducted over a video connection. Teletherapy can be limited to scheduled sessions or supplemented with messaging therapy. The face-to-face interaction of the video session can contribute to stronger working relationship.
3) Progress Monitoring uses questionnaire to assess you well-being, level of distress and progress. This information can help your and your therapist understand what is helpful to you and make adjustments as needed.
Benefits of Psychological Treatment
Benefits of messaging therapy, teletherapy and traditional psychotherapy can include: Improved communication and interpersonal skills, increased self-acceptance and self-esteem, ability to change self-defeating behaviors, improved management of emotions, relief from depression, anxiety or other symptoms, reducing negative thoughts, increased confidence, and improved decision-making skills. Recent studies have shown that online counseling can be as effective as in person counseling.
Specific Benefits of messaging therapy and teletherapy
Messaging therapy and teletherapy are usually more affordable than traditional psychotherapy. This will vary depending of the services available in your community and your health insurance benefits. Messaging therapy is usually more affordable than teletherapy.
Since you do not need to get to the therapist's office you have more therapist to choose from.
You can receive services in your home or other convenient location.
Specific Benefits of Messaging Therapy
you can communicate with your therapist at your convenience. No need to wait until your next session.
You receive feedback from your therapist muliple times a week.
Risks of Treatment
Talking about feelings in therapy may bring up feelings from your past that may not feel comfortable. You may experience some emotions related to processing past experiences. If this happens it is very important to communicate your feelings with your therapist. If you do not feel that the treatment you are receiving is helpful, you can discuss this with your therapist and they can advise you about other treatment options.
Limitations of messaging and teletherapy
• The services of this platform are not recommended for clients who are or are at risk of becoming suicidal, homicidal or severely impaired.
• If a you are experiencing more distress or not progressing, you should talk to your therapist about other options.
Alternatives to online Treatment
1) traditional face-to-face counseling
3) community support groups
Feel free to discuss alternatives with your therapist at any time.
Updated: September 3, 2019